Aarhus University Seal / Aarhus Universitets segl

Credit transfer

A PhD degree equals three years of full-time study (180 ECTS credits). But, if you in other ways have completed education components that are equivalent to (parts of) the content of a PhD programme, the Graduate School of Health can grant you credit.

How much credit can be granted?

You can get a minimum of three months credit (15 ECTS credits), and a maximum of six months of credit (30 ECTS credits).

Under special circumstances a maximum of two years of credit (120 ECTS credits) can be granted. Credit transfer of less than three months can be approved, but the study period will not be reduced.

If you are applying for an integrated PhD, credit granted will be deducted from part B. 

What activities are granted credit?

  • Documented independent research work under supervision, i.e. relevant research work related to the PhD project documented by articles, reports, abstracts or similar written work. The PhD project must still form the basis for a PhD dissertation at an international level. Your enrolment period will be reduced corresponding to the credit granted.
  • Courses taken within the last two year, as a minimum at the same level as our own PhD courses.
    You can also apply for credit for courses completed before enrolment after enrolment, but this will not result in any changes to your enrolment period.
  • Teaching experience or a similar kind of knowledge communication related to the PhD project and completed within the last two years before enrolment. A maximum of 100 hours of teaching including preparation can be granted, but it does not reduce your enrolment period.  

What activities are not granted credit?

  • Research stays at other institutions/departments before enrolment. Participation in active research environments is considered an essential part of the PhD programme.
  • No credit is granted for the PhD dissertation. The articles of the PhD dissertation must build on and be an incorporated part of the three year PhD programme. As an exception, articles which are published or submitted before enrolment can form part of the PhD dissertation, if they are related to the overall topic and are part of the independent research work under supervision – but only if credit is granted.  

How do I apply?

You apply for credit when you apply for enrolment. Your application must clearly state the completed activities for which you are applying credit.

You have to verify that the reduced enrolment period will not have an impact on the level of your PhD degree. You also need to indicate the extent to which the enrolment period is likely to be reduced if the credit is granted.

Applications are processed and approved by the faculty’s PhD committee.  

Research year and credit transfer

If you have completed a research year, you can be granted six months credit for independent research work under supervision.

Articles that you have published or submitted before enrolment, can as an exception form part of the PhD dissertation, if they are related to the overall topic and is part of the independent research work under supervision. It is required that the published or submitted article has not formed part of an earlier education with external assessment (e.g. Master’s thesis).

Data collected during your research year and further elaborated during the PhD programme can form part of your PhD dissertation.

Both mandatory and elective PhD courses that you have completed during the research year can be transferred and approved as part of your PhD degree, but it does not affect your enrolment period.

Participation in PhD Day as a research year student cannot be transferred. You are expected to participate in PhD Day as a PhD student as well.