Aarhus University Seal / Aarhus Universitets segl


Frequently asked questions regarding the Research Honours Programme at Health, Aarhus University.

1. Can the individual project replace the Master’s thesis?

No. The Research Honours Programme is an extracurricular activity recognized with a graduation with distinction.  You cannot base a graduation with distinction and a Master’s degree on the same work – neither fully nor partly.  However, you are allowed to connect the project completed during the Research Honours Programme with your Master’s thesis, e.g. by investigating parts of the same or an adjacent relevant Master’s thesis topic.        

2. Can I include the academic contribution from the Honours Programme in my Integrated PhD Programme?

No, but you are allowed to further investigate the subject based on the academic contribution from your Honours Programme.    

3. ls it possible to do a six month locum tenens position, if I still participate in the teaching activities?

It is a requirement that you follow your ordinary study programme, and that your participation in the Honours Programme does not extend the duration of your ordinary study.  I.e. an extension of your Master’s study will lead to dismissal from the Honours Programme.     

4. It is possible to enrol in the honours programme, if I am currently working on a research project?

Yes, that is possible. However, the outcome of the Honours Programme should be an addition to an already existing project. E.g. if you are working on an article, the scientific product of the Honours Programme can be an extension of the article. It must be clearly stated which part of the article is the academic contribution of the programme.     

5. Am I allowed to replace some of the planned workshops with other workshops?

As a general rule, attendance is compulsory.    

6. According to the guidelines, the project must be carried out independently. Does this mean that I cannot be part of another person’s project?

You must do your own independent research project. Therefore, you cannot solely be part of another person’s project.  It is however possible to relate your project to an ongoing project in the research group, as long as it is clearly defined.    

7. Can a co-supervisor be employed as a PhD at VIA University College?

Yes, it is possible to have a co-supervisor who works as a PhD fellow at VIA University College, as long as the main supervisor is employed at Health. Co-supervisor must be at least a PhD student.    

8. I am unable to participate in the honours programme activities, as I am going abroad in connection with the international semester at the Medicine study programme. What should I do?

You must submit an application for exemption, in which you apply for exemption due to your international semester abroad. In your application you must describe your stay abroad and, if relevant, suggest activities that can replace the honours programme activities in which you are unable to participate.    

9. In the guidelines regarding supervision, I read that co-supervisor must be from another department/section than the main supervisor, and that (s)he can - but does not have to - be employed at a faculty other than Health. Am I correct?

"Department” means “institut” in Danish. The term “department” covers both ”institut” and ”afdeling”. This is specified on the website.

10. Can I be enrolled in the Honours Programme and the Integrated PhD programme simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to be enrolled in the Honours Programme and the Integrated PhD programme simultaneously.  Just make sure to clearly define which project is related to the honours programme and the PhD programme, respectively.     

11. According to the website, “the student is required to follow the ordinary study according to the study plan, and pass all exams timely.” Does this mean that my Master’s degree programme cannot be delayed, not even due to a Research Year?

Correct. You cannot delay your ordinary Master’s degree programme - not at a later point in time, either.  I.e. it is not possible subsequently to do a Research Year or apply for leave of absence.

12. I understand that the Honours Programme is a pilot project. Do you know if the honours programme is offered in the fall of 2019?

Yes, the Honours Programme will be offered in the fall of 2019 and 2020.   

13. If I decide to apply for the honours programme and finish it, can I also apply for a Research Year at a later date?

No, students at the Honours Programme are required to follow the ordinary study according to the study plan, and pass all exams timely. Therefore, you cannot apply for a Research Year at a later date.    

14. Can I apply this summer with three years left of my study programme, or should I wait until next summer so that I finish both the honours programme and my Master’ degree programme at the same time?

We recommend that you apply now and start in the fall of 2019. We prefer students at the first semester of their Master’s degree programme.    

15. What is the extent of the academic contribution from a Honours Programme Research Track compared to a regular Research Year product?

The scientific contribution from a Research Year equals 60 ECTS credits, whereas the academic contribution from the Research Track equals 20 ECTS credits.    

16. In the guidelines regarding requirements for application I read that I must include “Methods to be used [...]", "Which research areas you are interested in". Does this mean that I must determine my field of research and research methods in advance?

No, you do not need to determine your field of research and research methods, but we would like to know which field of research has your interest.    

17. Must I specify a co-supervisor when getting my project plan approved, or can I add this at a later date?

It is required to specify a co-supervisor in order to get your project plan approved.